Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Newsie

Hola todos! It's my third week of D.C. life. I get up at 7 a.m., drink my coffee while watching the news, ride to work on the metro and read the newspaper while listening to my ipod, work all day witnessing and reporting the news, read various online news sources during my breaks, and then I come home and all I want to do is eat and sleep (simultaneously) because I'm so tired! I do this while watching my last bit of news for the day, of course (The Colbert Report).

So, my life is obviously all about current events...but I've also realized I act so much like an adult now. I feel like I'm just pretending all of the time, though. I feel like everyone around me is probably like-- what the heck is that teenager doing here and why does she have a press pass? Even though I am not a teenager...obviously. haha. I mean I'm going to be 21 in like 3 months! But people on Capitol Hill really cant tell that, can they? Nope. Oh well, I may be the youngest in the room...but that could be a good thing, too, I guess.
On the weekends my schedule has been pretty busy, as well. Don't worry Mom, I am not waisting my days sleeping. Last weekend I competed in a scavenger hunt with three of my other friends here: Stephanie (not my roommate), Lucy, and Mark. It was a lot of fun just running around the city for 3 hours, and we got to see some hurried sights on the way. We also saw a mass protest on the war (the first picture). That night we went to a National's game. We pulled it out in the last minute (I have adopted the Nat's for the time I am here).
I also went to an art museum--the National one. :-) I saw an exhibit from Edward Hopper. He did the famous painting of the corner bar late at night in the 50's. I know you all know which one I'm talking about. If not, go to www.nga.gov/hopper and look up "Nighthawks". I like some of his other pieces better, though. I haven't been to an art museum in a long time, and I realized I really like them. It's neat when you actually learn about a person's life and see their work at the same time.
On a note stemming from the fact that I like art museums now...I think I'm becoming a hippie. hahaha Just kidding, Shaws. I have been trying "hippieish" things lately though. We got up early (11:30) Saturday morning before the scavenger hunt and went to Adams Morgan for lunch. It's a part of town for college kids (I think), but it reminds me a lot of Broad Ripple (for you Hoosiers). So already hippie-like. But then we tried a middle eastern food called falafel, and we ate outside with people wearing really long skirts and sandals. So hippie. But it was really good! I know I will have to take some of you adventurous eaters to get some when you come see me (Stephy and Mom). I wont tell the rest of you what it is because then I know you won't eat it. It's all from a vegetable (slash legume), so don't think I'm disgusting and eat intestines or something.
(Side note: The two next pictures are of the capitol building. We took a tour of it with my Mass Communications group.)
Anyway-- This work week has been pretty typical. I was supposed to see Hillary Clinton at one of my hearings, but she only had a certain amount of time available, and the hearing was in recess during that time. One thing I've noticed about D.C.-- absolutely nothing starts on time. But no one really minds. So I like it because it's really laid back, and I'm kind of like that. :-)

Another thing I've noticed--people fulfill the roles they are placed in. Back at Xavier I was the late and untidy roommate compared to Steph, but here I am always on time, my part of the room is always clean (I make my bed daily!!), and I always know where I put things...because I have to take care of Johnna who is much more "laid back" than I am. haha. She's great. And I like being the responsible one for once! It's also weird because I am younger than Johnna and Steph is younger than I am. I guess maturity doesn't always come with age. (There are plenty of examples of that in this town.)

Something else really cool that I almost forgot to mention: My dear friend Jan Huffman, mother of Nash, whom I babysat for this summer, is really helping me out with her connections! She is on the board for the Indiana Down Syndrome Foundation, and she knows someone named Madeline Will whose son has Downs. She is divorced, but her ex-husband is George Will the famous opinions columnist. SO, she very kindly got the number from Madeline, called his office and explained the situation, and they are trying to set up a time for me to meet George Will! Isn't that so cool? Jan is one of the nicest people ever! I love you Jan! She is a former D.C. person, so she must know how important networking is. The pic is of Nash and me clowning around this summer. He's the cutest. (I've been meaning to send you those pictures, Jan...I will try to this week!)

So, that is my life. Please feel free to call me and talk about it more. I miss you guys a lot! Every single person! However, please note that I am now a grandma, and I try to go to bed at 11...so don't call too late.

Talk to you later. Loves!!
p.s. If you ever want to read my articles, e-mail me and I will try to make that happen. ;-)

1 comment:

Jan Steck Huffman said...

Sounds like you are working hard and learning, two things I also did while I interned in DC. Hope you get that interview with George Will! Nash says hi!