Thursday, August 30, 2007

Firsts

I have made it safe and sound to Washington, D.C. I have to say my nerves are doing much better. I thought I would throw up on the plane ride I was so nervous, but the minute I got here, I knew it would be great. I already love it.
Yesterday I got to my apartment-- the Grand--even before orientation opened, so I was the first in my apartment. It's amazing...as you can see by the pictures. The staff is exceedingly nice, and I feel very welcomed. It does seem more like a hotel than an apartment. My conservative family will be happy to know that I met someone who works for Fox News in the elevator on my first ride up. He was also very nice, and told me he'd see me around...yes, already networking, I know. Haha. I am on the 14th floor, and I have a view, though it is mostly of more high-rise apartments and buildings. The metro is right across the street, and I've heard there is a mall close. Right outside the apartment there is a McDonalds, so I know Jay and Whitney will appreciate that when they come to visit. :-)
My roommates finally arrived sometime after four. The first was Natalia (she goes by Naty), and she is from Mexico. She is extremely nice, but still working on her English a little, so we nod and smile a lot. The second was Johnna, and she is sharing my room. She is from University of Cincinnati...small world. She's 5'11', and of course reminds me of my Xavier roomie, Steph. The last to arrive was Stephanie (made me laugh, once again), and she's from Milwaukee.
We met everyone in the complex who is in the program last night, and I'm pretty sure I'm one of the youngest here...kind of bad for the night life, but at least I'm getting a head start.


Today we took our first metro ride--and I swear it's like an entire city down there. Very nice. It kind of reminds me of Space Mountain, too though. :-) We went to a mingling thing at the Washington Center, and then went to lunch with a new friend-- also named Stephanie. Then we navigated ourselves around to a few monuments (in the pictures), and after our feet couldn't take it anymore we came back to the apartment.
My boss at Roll Call called me today, and told me that they would have me working mostly for a part of Roll Call called Congress Now. I will be writing about two stories a day! WOW. I am nervous about the workload and getting to know Capital Hill, but she assured me I would be fine. We'll find out on Tuesday, I guess!
Tonight we're going grocery shopping and fixing our first dinner in the apartment. We are going to try to have days for each of us to cook during the week, which should be fun (especially for me because I love cooking!).







Call me anytime you want--I love talking about DC! I miss you all dearly. :-) *Lovelovelove*








1 comment:

Jan Steck Huffman said...

Glad you had a safe trip, and I will send you an email about your potential lunch appointment with George Will.

Nash says HI and that he hit someone at school today and got in trouble, and its all your fault because you taught him how to hit when you babysat. Well part of that is true. :)